Noteworthy developments in New York DWI News for the week of May 27, 2010-June 3, 2010
- Sen. Chuck Schumer announces intent to push new legislation to fund research into new technology to prevent drivers from taking the wheel while intoxicated. According to the June 2, 2010 edition of the Poughkeepsie Journal, “The money will be used to help car companies develop technology that will sense alcohol on the breath or sweat of drivers and automatically shut the car’s engine, Schumer said.”
- The Manhattan DA’s office announced its expansion of the Vehicular Crimes Unit. According to Empirenews.net, the unit “will focus on felony and misdemeanor cases involving traffic fatalities, traffic assaults, reckless driving, and other road violations. Prosecutors designated to the unit have been, and will continue to be, trained to address the complex issues specific to vehicular crime and crash reconstruction, as well as comprehensive legal instruction and in-depth training in the multitude of laws involving New York vehicular crime.” This development is in keeping with D.A. Vance’s earlier promises on the campaign trail.
- Robert Kennedy, Jr.’s wife was arrested for DWI in Westchester County.
- A man in Orange County was arrested for DWI after driving to a village police station to report a stray dog.
- A man who had been involved in an earlier DWI-related death was arrested himself for DWI in Hempstead.
- “Real Housewife” Sonja Morgan arrested for DWI in Southhampton.
If you have been arrested for or charged with DWI in New York City or the surrounding counties, you should contact experienced DWI counsel.